Monday, February 24, 2014

The Merchant's House Museum in New York City is Haunted

When I went to New York city a couple of years ago, I went to visit the Merchant's House Museum. Have you been there?

Photo credit: Denise Larkin - An upstairs bedroom.

The Merchant's House Museum was built in 1832 in Manhattan. Gertrude Tredwell was born in this house in 1840 and died in the upstairs' bedroom in 1933 in the bed that is in the photo below. Since, the 1930s, there have been reports that suggest that Gertrude Tredwell is haunting the house with strange happenings. Staff, volunteers, visitors, neighbors and even people walking by the house have reported seeing, hearing and smelling things that weren't there.

When I was inside the house, I took a few photos. The pictures above and below were taken of the main bedroom in the house where Gertrude Tredwell was born and died. This photo below was taken of the bed and it looks as if it has a ghost lying it. Can you see it? Look carefully. If you can see it, please let me know in the comments box. I would appreciate anyone letting me know if they can see it or not.

I remember that day. I was sitting down and trying listen to the sounds in the house. I felt strange and cold. I can remember staring at the bed in the photo too and I felt an eerie feeling of being watched.

Photo credit: Denise Larkin - The upstairs bedroom
Look carefully at the picture to see the ghost laying on the bed.

I took this photo as I was sitting on a chair reading about the house. I think the house is definitely haunted, so I was not surprised when I took the photo of the bed and saw a figure lying on it. Apparently, as the story goes, quite a few people died in this very bed that is still in the Merchant's House. What do you think? Can you see a reflection of light over the bed?

I would love to hear what people think of these photos and the Merchant's House Museum.

Copyright 2014 Denise Larkin. All Rights Reserved.

Photo credit: Denise Larkin (All photos taken by myself at the Merchant's House Museum)

Photo credit: Free to use and share from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WTM_tony_0079.jpg


4 comments:

  1. I didn't see a figure but perhaps an impression. Another interesting article, +Denise Larkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful house with an interesting history. It is interesting that some places have such strange feelings to them.

    ReplyDelete